apples & seeds

You can count the number of seeds in an apple, but you can't count the number of apples in a seed. 

Last school year I taught Concert Choir at Meridian High School...I both heard about the job and got hired as the temporary sub just two days before school started. I hadn't planned on teaching school again for a loooooooong time...my first job out of college really burnt me and I loved just staying home with 1 year old son and teaching private lessons...easy life, not much stress, I was fine with that....but then this job came up. I thought well, I guess if it's only ONE class, I think I could handle that. So when I started, I didn't really know what to do. I hadn't been hired yet, but should I start working as if I would be hired?? I didn't know...it was definitely a unique situation...but I decided to go that way. Thinking back, I would've done things differently but you know, I suppose that's normal whenever you chart new territory with little preparation. 


Anyway, sometime very early in the year (I can't remember but I don't think I had been officially hired yet, maybe I had) I gave a speech on the above quote complete with a live apple demo. As a teacher of course, you don't always know how or for whom you make a difference when you plan any given lesson, but I found out yesterday that the apple thing actually made a difference for someone! 


One of my students, Chelsea...well she was a hard one for me. In the beginning of the year she kept saying she wanted to drop my class...not the best first impression--ha! But then she ended up not dropping and just sat there everyday with this bored look on her face like, "Just TRY to make me like your class, cause it ain't happening." I was ALWAYS thinking about how I could make class better for her! :/  You can imagine. I finally got her to stand up straight by making her a deal that she could sit by her friends as long as she kept good posture. That made her happy and I felt accomplished...she now smiled in my class! After that she was more herself in class and she really started growing on me:) I thought everything was cool until the spring when she started complaining about the music we were singing. She kept saying I should let the class VOTE on which songs we should sing LOL! To give some perspective, the choir was made up of about 40+ girls and 6-12 guys, depending on the day. The musical levels and motivation levels were SO amazingly disparate, it really was a NIGHTMARE trying to find music for them...SO HARD! And still I couldn't please everyone...and I suppose any teacher would've had the same challenge. Turns out she wanted to sing Grease and Disney...and there was no way I could go there with festival around the corner...and besides, I don't even like Grease so I could never teach it and I hate doing Disney with choirs because it ALWAYS falls flat (I let them do one for the final concert and it was the WORST performed song on the program). Well anyway, there was no way I could please her this time so I had to just push ahead and try not to think about it...but that is not always easy, especially when you care about someone....


So yesterday I had the below conversation on Facebook. Can I say how happy I felt inside??? Or how much I was laughing??? There is nothing like knowing that you still make a difference long after you're gone. I felt happy about that all night last night and even this morning when I woke up. Thank you Chelsea, and Derek, and Taegan...you TOTALLY made my day. Love you!!


p.s. Taegan's quote is one I shared several times during the year to coincide with my #1 rule: BE KIND:)
p.p.s. Derek is the student who convinced me to take the job after 3 weeks of VERY difficult subbing:) :)


some people are not who you think they are, 'so be kind, because everyone you meet is fighting some type of battle in their life' :)
16 hours ago ·  · 

  • You, Derek D'Augustino and 4 others like this.

    • Derek D'Augustino Reminds me of Mrs. A lol.
      15 hours ago ·  ·  1 person

    • Taegan Jane Young Who? Ha
      15 hours ago ·  ·  1 person

    • Derek D'Augustino Our choir teacher.
      15 hours ago ·  ·  1 person

    • Chelsea Fisher ha:) yur a seed!
      15 hours ago ·  ·  1 person

    • Chelsea Fisher uh oh busted!
      15 hours ago ·  ·  1 person

    • Annie Arrington i am dying laughing out here in new hampshire...lol! love you guys!!!
      15 hours ago · 

    • Annie Arrington btw chels - i guess that makes me a seed too! hahaha
      15 hours ago · 

    • Chelsea Fisher love u to:) i still remember that whole talk i have all of the videos of u singing and dancing for us on my phone
      :) how could we forget u:)

      15 hours ago ·  ·  2 people

    • Chelsea Fisher ima big seed!
      15 hours ago ·  ·  1 person

    • Annie Arrington YOU HAVE ME DOING THE PAULA ABDUL LIP SYNC??!?!
      15 hours ago · 

    • Chelsea Fisher YES MAM!!!!!
      15 hours ago · 

    • Derek D'Augustino Why'd you leave? You were the ***. I told you to stay!
      15 hours ago ·  ·  1 person

    • Annie Arrington chelsea you MUST send that to me...it will go in my teaching archives forever!!!! derek you did tell me to stay about week 3 into the year and I DID--all because of you! :) as for this year, dude you moved too! life happens lol
      15 hours ago · 

    • Chelsea Fisher i need some kids of wire to hook to my computer to download it! of else it would already be on here! i watch it when i need a good laugh!
      15 hours ago ·  ·  1 person

    • Derek D'Augustino True, true. You'll be missed. I still do my choir aerobics every morning lol.
      15 hours ago ·  ·  1 person

    • Annie Arrington love love love it!!! i just emailed you so you have my email so if you can get it all hooked up then please send! :D
      15 hours ago · 

    • Annie Arrington derek! choir aerobics!! LOLOL!!! I was just listening to michael buble's "save the last dance for me" yesterday and thinking about all of you and how much i missed the choir aerobics with you guys! :( now i do them with my son though...he doesn't much follow me but he definitely has his groove going on ha!
      15 hours ago · 


      Here is Chelsea's response to the above post (via FB) :D
      awh how sweet:) i love it:) i feel famous:)
      but really did try to meet your expectations and when i didnt i knew i only had a few more chances or i would fail not just the class but you.. i still stuggle in that class(mind you it is concert choir, its not that hard to pass if you have a passion as much as i did, even though this class was full of different personalities{including mine}) so anyways this class wasnt boring just out of my confort zone box.. that class to me was so much fun i just didnt express it because most of the other kids thought me and taegann were crazy for dancing in the middle of class. its not everyday u get up go to school knowing your going to dance with the people who have all different backrounds. this to me was interesting to see others come out of their comfort zones and just be happy..i know we made u cry a couple of times and some other students may have mentioned some harsh names but when i caught them saying it i had to say "she's been called worst by better.-mrs perry (english teacher)"
      nobody knew me better then my choir teacher that year.(freshman yr.) this was a great expience for all of us. LESSON LEARNED :) all because of one very outgoing teacher..and parker he inspiration! ive written a few songs since then by the way...

Comments

  1. Looooove it Annie! haha that's so awesome. And I'm so happy to see a blog post from you too . . . you're always honest and true and inspiring! xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

to embrace my life...

Forgiveness