two roads diverged in a yellow wood...

I was at the Robert Frost farm in Derry, NH this afternoon just walking the trails and relishing in the beauty of the area when I came to my favorite spot--where the two roads diverge in a yellow wood. I had always wanted to take the trail to the left (which looked a lot more "less traveled by" when I was younger haha) but maybe because we were always there with the family or maybe because I was too young to go off by myself, I never did it. But I've thought about it a lot over the years...even dreamed about it...which maybe sounds funny but I think there was something inside me that longed to take that road less traveled by...somehow I knew that would make all the difference. Well...today I finally did it! I think it has always been significant to me because there have been many times in my life when I didn't do things I wanted to do because I didn't fit with the status quo way of doing them...and I would think--well it's never been done that way before, I have no one to model after, I'm too young, I don't have enough experience, etc, etc, etc. Well, there was something liberating about walking that trail today...I felt free, I felt at peace, I felt secure in myself, I felt the love of the Lord big time and His unspoken voice encouraging me to create, to discover, to become. I sometimes wonder what potential God sees in me and my future...well, today at least, I think it has something to do with taking that road less traveled by.  
The Road Not Taken
 
 
TWO roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;        5
 
Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same,        10
 
And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back.        15
 
I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

--Robert Frost (1874-1963)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

to embrace my life...

Forgiveness